Friday, November 21, 2008

The AIDS Pandemic....

Is the SUN Setting on Africa?








I just got back from Piet Retief, South Africa and Swaziland. People keep asking me about my trip and I am finding myself without the words to describe what I've experienced. I actually thought I'd be excited to share what I experienced, however I'm finding that the exact opposite has occurred and I am not wanting to tell anyone about it, because I don't feel that I can adequately describe what I saw. The whole scope of the AIDS pandemic is quite overwhelming.


One of the purposes of the trip was to do some HDTV filming for an infomercial that we're putting together, we accomplished that goal.


The other big goal was for me to see the work that is going on there so that I can communicate that well to others (which I'm still figuring out how to do) as I'm working now with AIDS Research & Assistance Institute, a non-profit organization dedicated to help fight the AIDS/HIV pandemic problem in Africa.


The AIDS problem is truly pandemic. 5 years ago in Swaziland, the census showed 1.3 million people. This year's census showed 850,000. People are dying at the rate of thousands a day. To even begin to fix this pandemic problem, we're going to have to combat it on many levels.

Education is only a small slice of the solution. This battle is going to have to be fought in the mind, body and spirit. It's too big to be fought on just one or two planes, as I'll explain in further blogs.

2 comments:

AUNTIES said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AUNTIES said...

WENDY, WITH TEARS, GOD IS SHOWING ME THE HOPE & BEAUTY IN AFRICA.
PRAISE GOT FOR A.R.A.I., DR. DAVES & YOURSELF FOR OBEYING GOD.
THE PICTURES ARE UNBELIEVABLE.
THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US ALL.
AUNTIES